To support multiple initiatives across Foodstuffs' business including New World Online, Labelling, Food Star Ratings and Customer Analytics, they require a richer and more consistent information set across their article range. Previously Foodstuffs needed around 100 data elements for each product - now they are after ~200 (although the new elements aren't 'mandatory' yet)
1. What do I have to do, and when?
Foodstuffs' new requirements (defined here) are not mandatory, however they will move to make some of these elements mandatory in the future. So it is worth thinking about how to update this data into your National Product Catalogue now.
For new products or product changes:
- Use ProductFlow as you normally would. If you send us your final product for photography or barcode verification, we will capture a large amount of Foodstuffs' expanded data for you. We will store in our label database, then we'll be able to port this info. across to your NPC commencing August (with your agreement - excludes middleware & integrated suppliers).
- If you don't yet have your final product, you can still enter this expanded data directly into NPC if you choose.
Remember, in ProductFlow you can tick the option and GS1 will enter your product data for you (for a $40 charge - unfortunately we cannot do this for suppliers who use a 'middleware' software like Innovit or Bizcaps).
For already-ranged products with Foodstuffs:
- We recommend you wait until August before you start on this. GS1 currently holds 20,000+ "nutritional" records for your products in one of our databases. We will be porting this across to your National Product Catalogue (working with you) beginning in August.
- After we have ported you can then assess which products have a data gap, and can load the extra information for those products after we have ported what we have, if you choose. If you need assistance GS1 can deploy staff to help you work through this load either onsite or remotely (T&M charges would apply).
2. How would I enter this data myself?
For users of the NPC interface, we are able to "reveal" the attributes Foodstuffs are after in your catalogue. If you would like us to do this please let us know (0800 10 23 56). Most of the new attributes will reside in the below "Food, Beverage, Tobacco" menu.
3. What if I use a middleware software or have integrated my system to NPC?
GS1 will be working with your middleware vendor to help explain the new fields for Foodstuffs and work with them to be available for you. This will take some time - Foodstuffs are aware of this and understand it can't happen overnight!
4. What will happen in ProductFlow?
Keep using ProductFlow as you normally would. GS1 won't fail your data if it's missing Foodstuffs' new attributes (as they're not mandatory).
If you have chosen to enter additional data though (e.g. NIP information) and it doesn't match your physical product, we would bring this to your attention and fail the data component if you choose not to resolve it.
Version 1.0 - Updated 3rd October 2017